Undergraduate Enrollment Contract
- By submitting this application you are agreeing to these terms and conditions, which form a binding agreement between you and UMass Boston International Direct. If you are submitting this application on behalf of another person it is your responsibility to ensure that the person applying to UMass Boston International Direct is aware of these terms and accepts them, and by submitting the application you are warranting that you have made the applicant aware of these terms and that they have accepted these terms.
- Students applying with post-secondary college credits are subject to additional requirements. You must disclose any post-secondary college credits now. If you have taken credit-bearing university-level courses after the completion of high school, you must meet the current secondary school GPA requirements as well as any GPA requirements for post-secondary college credits, regardless of whether or not you wish to transfer such credit. Vocational and ESL studies are not considered during the admissions review process. There is no guarantee that post-secondary college credits will be accepted. UMass Boston’s transfer credit requirements can be found at https://admissions.umb.edu/transfer-students/transfer-credit. Please familiarize yourself with these requirements prior to submitting this application.
Enrollment Agreement– Student’s Acceptance of the Offer
UMASS BOSTON INTERNATIONAL DIRECT ENROLLMENT CONTRACT
- By submitting your deposit you are agreeing to this Enrollment Agreement, which forms a binding agreement between you and UMass Boston International Direct (“UMass Boston International Direct” “we” or “us”). Umass Boston International Direct, reserves the right to amend this Enrollment Agreement from time to time.
- In addition to this Enrollment Agreement, as part of your conditional offer you have received other information and documents that contain additional terms of your participation. Please familiarize yourself with all documentation provided to you by Umass Boston International Direct.
- Degree Verification and Non-US Institutions. UMass Boston is a U.S. accredited university. You may be required to submit your degree for verification (sometimes called “validation” or “authentication”), either by your employer or your country’s education authority if you wish to live and work in your home country. It is your responsibility to determine what level of verification is needed and how to obtain it. We do not guarantee that your UMass Boston degree will be verified outside of the U.S. Degree verification does not impact the validity or value of your degree in the U.S. Further, we do not guarantee that credits earned at UMass Boston will be transferrable to systems of higher education outside of the U.S. Whether and how much transfer credit to award is in the discretion of the foreign institution.
Tuition and Fees; Refunds
- Tuition and fees payment: Following payment of the deposit, you must pay the remaining outstanding balance shown on your invoice by the indicated due date. You are responsible for paying the full invoice amount, including any banking or processing fees, to UMass Boston International Direct. UMass Boston International Direct has the right to amend its prices. The following fees will appear on your invoice:
- -Technology fee
- -Orientation fee
- -Student activity fee
- -International student fee
- -New student fee
- -ID card fee
- -Mass media fee
- -Massachusetts Student Public Interest Research Group fee
- -UMass Boston Health Insurance
Certain courses and programs, such as courses with a lab component, require additional fees. Such fees may include but are not limited to additional registered course fees, lab fees, and other program-specific fees. You will incur additional tuition and fees for any credit hours you take in excess of UMass Boston’s standard full-time credit load. You must pay any program-specific fees and tuition for excess credit hours directly to the UMass Boston Bursar’s office. UMass Boston will invoice you separately for such fees after the add/drop registration date and UMass Boston payment terms will apply.
- Failure to Pay. Failure to pay by your payment deadline may lead to penalties, including late fees, inability to gain access to housing and use of a meal plan, inability to progress to the next semester, and a hold on your account that will prevent you from enrolling in classes. If you are unable to enroll due to nonpayment of tuition and fees you may become in violation of your immigration status, and we will be required to report such violation to the SEVIS database maintained by the Department of Homeland Security; you may lose your immigration status and be deported from the U.S. You may be dismissed from the UMass Boston International Direct for failure to pay your invoice.
- Deposit Refunds. We will only refund your deposit if you provide us with written notification and documentation showing that your visa application has been denied prior to the first day of classes. Otherwise, we do not refund deposits.
- Undergraduate Enrollment Deferrals. Deferrals must be requested prior to or within 60 days after your original move-in date. You may defer your enrollment for up to one calendar year (i.e., three consecutive semesters, including summer); however, your deposit will roll-over for one deferral only (i.e., a Fall deposit will apply for Spring, but a new deposit is required starting with the Summer semester if you defer again). We will not refund your original deposit. After one calendar year, you will be required to re-apply with a new application and deposit.
- Refunds for Cancellation of Enrollment. If you cancel your enrollment prior to the date below (found here: https://www.umb.edu/registrar/academic_calendar), you may request a full refund of fees paid, less housing and any other non-refundable fees. After the no refund dates listed below, all tuition and fees for the entire duration of your progam at UMass Boston International Direct are nonrefundable.
Intake Semester Last day for Refund 100% Begin 0% Refund Summer 2022 June 2, 2022 June 3, 2022 Fall 2022 September 13, 2022 September 14, 2022 Spring 2023 January 30, 2023 January 31, 2022
- Refunds Generally. Refunds Generally. You must submit your refund request for all eligible refunds within 60 days of program completion, withdrawal, or dismissal. The request form can be found at https://p.widencdn.net/lfwx4q/3317_UMB_18_Form_Refund_Request_LR All refunds will be issued in U.S. Dollars, minus bank transfer and processing fees, including any fees incurred for a rejected payment, according to the exchange rate in place at the time of the refund. All eligible refunds will be processed when students complete, withdraw, or are dismissed from our program. This may be transferred to the student’s university account or processed as a refund directly to the student. Refunds are typically issued within 60 business days from receipt of completed form.
- No Refunds for Immediate Transfer. You will not receive a refund of your deposit or any tuition or fees if you enter the United States on a UMass Boston-issued I-20 and immediately request a transfer of your I-20 to another program, school, college or university.
- UMass Boston Pre-Orientation Program (POP). If you are beginning your UMass Boston program early through an in-person or virtual pre-orientation program, you are agreeing to the additional terms set forth here. If you cancel your POP enrollment prior to its start date, you may request a full refund of POP fees paid, less any non-refundable fees such as banking, housing and administrative fees. After start date, all tuition and fees for the entire duration of your Pre-Orientation Program at UMass Boston are nonrefundable.
Accommodations & Services
- Housing Accommodation and Meal Plan. Off-campus housing through International Guest House (IGH) is an option for all UMass Boston International Direct students. IGH Rules and Regulations must be signed prior to arrival. Payment for housing is due in full two weeks prior to the move-in date unless you are on a payment plan pre-approved by UMass Boston International Direct. Late housing payments or failure to pay housing costs may result in additional fees. Cancelling your housing contract will result in forfeiture of your entire housing payment. After the no-refund dates listed above, students are eligible to receive a refund of housing fees for future semesters only.
- A refundable $200 room key deposit is required upon arrival at IGH.
- Airport transfer for your initial arrival to IGH, for flights arriving at Boston Logan International Airport, is included in the price of your stay. Flight arrival information must be submitted at least 2 weeks in advance of arrival by visiting https://umbinternationaldirect.org/before-you-arrive. If your flight is cancelled or delayed, you must call the emergency telephone number published in the NECS Airport Pick-Up Instructions.
- You are responsible for any fines incurred due to prohibited substances/items or damage in your room. A full list can be found in your Welcome Packet upon arrival.
- Your IGH room is not considered reserved until you have submitted your Housing Preference Form, IGH Rules and Regulations form, and nonrefundable deposit.
- Health Insurance. All international students studying at UMass Boston International Direct are required to be covered by health insurance that meets the U.S. Government, Massachuesetts, and local requirements. Not all services are covered, and the student is responsible for any outstanding balances for non-covered services.
- You are required to purchase coverage from a UMass Boston designated health plan as a condition of enrollment.
- You must have a completed a Student Health Center Mandatory Immunization Form documenting proof of immunity, for example, Measles (Rubeola), Mumps and German Measles (Rubella) [MMR]; one Diphtheria/Tetanus booster within the past ten years; two doses of Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine; series of Hepatitis B vaccine; polio vaccine (if under the age of 18) and the Meningoccocal vaccine. For a full list of requirements check here. Mandatory Immunization Forms may be obtained and uploaded through your Student Portal, which can be accessed here. You must have completed immunization documentation prior to class registration in order to enroll in any courses. All immunization forms must be translated in English.
- You are fully and solely responsible for the payment of any premiums or other costs associated with maintaining health insurance coverage, and UMass Boston International Direct is not responsible for payment of any funds related to a student’s health insurance. Be advised that the cost of health insurance is typically non-refundable, unless permitted by the terms and conditions of a particular plan.
UMass Boston Graduate Direct Policies, Procedures and Requirements
- Academic Resources. All books and learning materials must be purchased through a UMass Boston recommended source.
- Vacation, Holidays and Closures. Please familiarize yourself with UMass Boston’s calendar for holidays and vacations. Classes will not be held on designated school vacations and may be cancelled on public holidays. We do not make reimbursements for classes not offered due to planned or unplanned school closures.
- Absences. Failure to meet attendance requirements may lead to penalties, including loss of immigration status and deportation. You will not receive a refund if you lose immigration status due to class absences.
- Medical Withdrawal. If you need to withdraw for medical reasons you must apply for a valid medical withdrawal through the University’s Office of the Registrar. We will honor any tuition refunds granted by the University for a medical withdrawal in conflict with this Enrollment Agreement, but please be aware that certain housing and other UMass Boston International Direct fees may not be refundable.
- If you are accepted into an internship or externship option, such as Career Premium, all opportunities will be awarded by a third-party organization at such organization’s sole discretion.
- Photography, Filming and Sound Recording. UMass Boston International Direct or its representatives, affiliates, successors and related companies may arrange to photograph or shoot video footage of students for purposes of advertising, public relations, and/or promotion in any medium throughout the world, including on social media sites and on the internet. If you do not wish to participate you must advise us in writing and state at the time of the photography or video shooting the wish not to participate. By accepting this Enrollment Agreement you are indicating your consent to use these photographs or video footage without further consent or notifications unless you follow the above opt-out requirements.
- Legal Compliance. We have a legal obligation to comply with U.S. laws and regulations. We may use certain information you provided to us on your application to ensure our compliance with export and other regulations by screening you against lists prepared by federal government agencies, such as those prepared by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of the Treasury. You hereby consent to the transfer of your personally identifiable information to third-party screening services that we have retained solely to conduct such screenings.
- Force Majeure. UMass Boston International Direct will not be liable in cases where UMass Boston International Direct is unable to fulfill any services because of fire, natural disaster, disease or pandemic, national emergency, act of government, acts of war or terrorism, failure of suppliers or subcontractors, labor disputes or any other reasons which are beyond UMass Boston International Direct’s control.
- Liability. The liability of Shorelight, LLC, which is the operator of UMass Boston International Direct, and its group companies, their directors, officers, employees, affiliates, agents and partners with respect to losses arising from negligence (except where such liability cannot be excluded as a matter of law), breach of contract or otherwise will be limited in all circumstances to the full amount paid to UMass Boston International Direct, or the relevant group company by the relevant student for the particular program. Such companies and persons will in no circumstances have any liability for indirect or consequential losses or damages. Any dispute, claim or other matter arising will be subject to the jurisdiction and laws of Massachuesetts without regard to the choice of law rules. Any legal suit, action or proceeding seeking to enforce any provision of, or based on any right or issues arising out of or related to this Enrollment Agreement, shall be brought exclusively in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. By signing these terms and conditions, the student consents to and accepts the jurisdictions of such courts for the purpose of any such action or proceeding and agree to waive any objection to venue being laid therein.
University Policies, Procedures and Requirements
- As a grauate student at UMass Boston International Direct, you are bound by the rules and regulations governing UMass Boston (or “University”), as those may be amended from time to time. These rules and regulations may be found at: https://www.umb.edu/life_on_campus/dean_of_students/student_conduct.
- In addition to this Enrollment Contract, as part of your conditional offer you have received other University information and documents that contain additional terms of your participation. Please familiarize yourself with all documentation provided to you by UMass Boston.
- In addition to the health insurance requirements listed in this Enrollment Agreement, the terms of you health insurance must meet UMass Boston requirements. You are fully and solely responsible for the payment of any premiums or other costs associated with maintaining health insurance coverage, and UMass Boston is not responsible for payment of any funds related to your health insurance.
- Academic or Conduct Rule and Policy Violations. You are required to adhere to UMass Boston’s Student Code of Conduct which can be found at https://www.umb.edu/life_on_campus/dean_of_students/student_conduct. You may be suspended or expelled if you violate any of UMass Boston’s policies, rules, or regulations, which may result in the revocation of your immigration status. No refund will be given in cases of suspension or expulsion.
- If you are dismissed from from the University for any reason you may not-reapply to UMass Boston International Direct, the University, your current program, or any other program offered by UMass Boston International Direct.
- Force Majeure. UMass Boston is not liable in cases where UMass Boston is unable to fulfill any services because of fire, natural disaster, disease or pandemic, national emergency, act of government, acts of war or terrorism, failure of suppliers or subcontractors, labor disputes or any other reasons which are beyond UMass Boston’s control.
- F-1 Status. In order to maintain proper F-1 visa status, you must comply with all applicable Federal regulations related to study in the U.S., including pursuit of a full course of study. Please review UMass Boston’s policies on student visa status and immigration. You will be in jeopardy of losing your immigration status if you fail to maintain the necessary academic standing. We will be required to report any violation by you of your F-1 status to the SEVIS database of the DHS. Your personally identifiable information, including course enrollment details and changes, and circumstances of any suspected breach by you of UMass Boston’s or UMass Boston International Direct’s policies may be shared with the DHS, UMass Boston and accrediting agencies, designated authorities, your parents, and UMass Boston International Direct staff and agents. If you intend to seek permanent resident status at any point during your anticipated tenure at UMass Boston, you must disclose such intent at the time of application. Please be aware that scheduling and class attendance conflicts that arise from pursuing immigration status changes will not be accommodated and may prevent you from continuing your studies. You may be dismissed if you seek or obtain a change in you permanent residency. No refunds will be given if you must withdraw due to your actual or anticipated change to permanent resident status.