Center for Academic Success
Do you need to improve your writing skills or study habits? Do you need help preparing for an exam or presentation? Maybe you just have a question and don’t know who to ask? Our friendly online tutors and counselors are here to support you! Schedule a free Zoom session with one of our Academic Skills or Subject Area Tutors (see options below) and gain the confidence and skills to succeed in your undergraduate and graduate classes. Email CAS@shorelight.com for more information.
Academic Skills Tutors
I am Alicia Coe. I have been teaching English for academic purposes and critical writing at several universities in Europe and the United States for 17 years. Apart from teaching, I work as a curriculum developer, a writing consultant for undergraduate and graduate students, a copyeditor, and a Cambridge examiner. I am experienced in teaching international students; therefore, I can provide different learning approaches depending on the cultural background of each student.
I am Amanda Wilcox. Originally, I hail from Macon, Georgia, where I studied Biology and Spanish at Mercer University. After teaching foreign language for about 5 years, I began a master’s degree at Auburn University. Upon graduating, I continued to teach Spanish at the university and eventually began teaching in the ESL Department, where I found my calling. I have been involved in teaching, tutoring, and curriculum writing for international students learning English ever since. In total, I have nearly 20 years of experience teaching all ages from young children to adults in an academic setting.
I am Bianca Coria. I have eight years of experience teaching English at various levels in Asia and the United States. I currently work as an English instructor and course developer, and I hold certifications in TESOL, TEFL, and TEYL. I have experience working with students of all ages, from toddlers to adults from various backgrounds. In addition to enjoying my career, I also enjoy meeting new people, visiting new places, tasting new foods, and spending time with my family. I love working with students, and I strive to create a positive and enjoyable environment. I look forward to working with you.
I am Dipen Bhuva. I am a PhD student in Computer Science at the Cleveland State University and have a Masters graduate from Northeastern University in Information Security. I am also a certified Network+ by Comptia, Certified Ethical Hacker, RH-11 Expert Hacker, RedHat Server Certified Engineering and am Amazon Web Service (Cloud) certified. For my “extraordinary dedication and teaching,” I was granted an “excellent achievement for Graduate Assistantship” from CSU. I will be happy to help with any problems and solutions related to computer science: Programming, Networking, Server engineering, Cloud, Statistic, Advanced Mathematics and Cyber Security.
- Academic writing – generating ideas, organizing, summarizing, paraphrasing, revising/editing
- Research skills: Finding credible sources and academic articles
- Understanding academic integrity; avoiding plagiarism
- MLA & APA citations and format
- Academic presentation preparation and practice
- Time management – weekly planning, semester-long planning
- Reading strategies
- Note-taking skills
- Test preparation strategies
- Class and groupwork participation strategies
- Discussion skills
- Grammar rules and practice
- Academic communication etiquette – emails, office hours, requesting letters of recommendation
- Business writing – emails, reports, meeting summaries
- Career development – resume and cover letter writing
- Building math confidence for students who struggle with math
- General and Foundational Math help at any level
- Calculus including Calc 1 and Calc 2
- Algebra and Linear Algebra
- Discrete Math
- Category Theory
- Differential Equations